Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The GoT Finale

Well, there you go. The final episode of Game of Thrones Season Two has come and gone and I can see why some people are very upset. There were some odd choices in there, particularly toward the last half of the episode. I thought the first half was brilliant, with class performances from - among others - Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister and Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin - and certainly the guy I was really apprehensive about two years ago, Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy. He was really at his best in this episode, both when Luwin suggested the Night's Watch for him, and when he had that awesome speech. I felt sorry for him, even after all he had done. Though I obviously - as a reader and fan of the books - miss Reek, and even Rodrik's little daughter what's her name Betty? - I think D & D made a wise choice in how to wrap this up. The scenes with Brienne and Jaime were good entertainment, as were Bran's scenes. Anything in King's Landing is good these days, and I loved it when Sansa walked away and her face turned into a smile. Such a great moment, quickly subdued by Littlefinger's lacklustre presence. Yeah, I am just not warming to the guy. The actor looks the part sure enough, but the Littlefinger of the TV show isn't interesting at all compared to the book version. Anyway, there was much goodness in this episode. My biggest gripe with the episode was the story beyond the Wall. I feel the Qhorin/Jon scenes were a bit botched, it never felt like a sacrifice; and Sam sitting behind that rock while the undead come a-walking fell flat for me personally, mostly because I found the White Walker (if that was what it was supposed to be) on the horse to be completely embarassing. But there you go, it's easy to forget this is a fantasy series sometimes, because some plots and characters are so incredibly lifelike. Still, the episode gave me the itch to see it again, so there was good stuff in there. Can't believe they already are this far into the story. Can't believe we've actually had two seasons of Game of Thrones. It seems like yesterday that this was only a maybe, a hope, a dream.
This remains an alternative vision, it is based on the books, changes must be made and I understand this. That is why I am able to enjoy it even though it irks me at the same time, same as I enjoyed Arwen's role in Fellowship of the Ring even though it wasn't "supposed" to be like that. The essence remains, if barely at times, and I am very happy with this series. And I want Ser Jorah's outfit, it rocks with the plate and the leather straps and all.

Best line in the episode - I admit I laughed because of the irony - was when Daenerys said something about the people across the sea waiting for her, and then Pyat Pree says "They will be waiting a long time."
Ain't that the truth.






No comments:

Post a Comment