Sunday, August 5, 2012

Skepticism & Wonder

Sick today, I realized that staying in the couch would allow me to finish at least one of the books I'm reading. And what did I do? I found another book instead. How typical.
I've almost read the entire book, and it was a wonderful read, so when I go to bed I can return to The Desert Spear, The Wise Man's Fear, The Black Company and / or Gardens of the Moon.

The book I read was Carl Sagan's The Demon-haunted World. It is a good read, entertaining and not too dry (considering it's non-fiction). It's the kind of book I wished everyone read, the kind of book that should be curriculum at schools. 

Now, since I'm mostly in agreement with Sagan, it's probably no wonder I like it, but I am confident that this is a valuable book to anyone.

"Both skepticism and wonder are skills that need honing and practice. Their harmonious marriage within the mind of every schoolchild ought to be a principal goal of public education."


Hryston Boerigen, my barbarian in EQ2. Doesn't look much like a barbarian, though.
Hell to the yeah! That's one great vision I can, as a teacher, endorse. And where can one find and enjoy wonder? In the world of fantasy, of course. Which is why I have decided to take a quick dive into the world of Norrath tonight (that would be the online game Everquest II). I've decided to take my character on a trip around the world (also known as "content") and gawk. To wonder, in that geekiest possible of ways. I've also reinstalled my age-old Baldur's Gate game but it being quite linear and me having played it several times before I doubt I'll find wonder there, but there will probably be a healthy dose of nostalgia. And when I step out of these secondary worlds I can be skeptical again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment