Monday, September 10, 2012

Stuff and stuff

Stefan Sasse, of Tower of the Hand fame (and not agreeing with me right here on this blog about the quality of A Dance with Dragons) has set up a geek blog which he has called The Nerdstream (that's a great title) where he geeks out on TV series like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead

My own week in geekery has not resulted in much. I finished Forge of Darkness, played a couple of games of Magic the Gathering: Online with a new experimental deck which won and lost equally, tried to get back into Crusader Kings II but it was just too demanding and my concentration refused to cooperate; I've started a new short story for SFF's September-October competition which I believe could end up pretty good if I can be bothered to work on it and also a flash fiction for SFF's September flash fiction competition (where I'll try for the first time to write a story set in the real world); I've returned to Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear, and it is quite easy to jump straight back in. Rothfuss crafts such a nice cast of characters with small, but entertaining events along the way, and I truly understand what all the...'fuss...is about, but the first-person narration gets tiring after a few chapters and I have to put it away. Just a matter of taste. It's very good, very entertaining, generous with its concepts and ideas and back-and-forths, but for me it becomes a slow read. But I have committed to it, and it's first on my to-finish-reading-pile, definitely. With Peter V. Brett's The Desert Spear right behind (I kind of totally stopped reading it). Lastly, my son has grown very interested and fond of the Star Wars universe (no wonder) and so we have watched Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. For a six-and-a-half-year old I can only commend his tastes; he prefers these over the wretched The Phantom Menace. Supposed to be the "kiddie" movie, this film doesn't really push any button except for the Qui-Gon Jinn/Obi-Wan Kenobi/Darth Maul duel. The magic of the classic trilogy, however, is still working at full tilt.

As for the future in geekery, I have a small list of "Can't wait 'til it's out" stuff (European release dates):

* Joe Abercrombie's The Red Country (October 18th)
* Ian C. Esslemont's Blood and Bone (November 22nd) - Malazan just keeps on giving, doesn't it?
* War of the Roses, a medieval battle game for the PC (October 2nd)
* A Map of All Our Failures, my favorite band My Dying Bride returns with a new album (October 15th)
* Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, PC game, (September 18th) 
* Neverwinter, PC game (early 2013)
* The dungeon editor for Legend of Grimrock (whenever it's ready)
* ... everything I'm not yet aware of, or have forgotten...to say we're being bombarded with entertainment options isn't an understatement. Maybe something totally off the radar explodes onto the scene and takes us all by storm, like A Song of Ice and Fire once did?

It's looking to be a nice autumn when looked upon with geek glasses. Rains and storms come forth! I want to be inside with my fantasy stuff and stuff.



1 comment: