Wednesday, October 31, 2012

It's all geek to me

The other George: Selling his soul to the De...Disney
Disney buys Star Wars. I'm almost ready to consider buying into this 'signs of the apocalypse'-thing.
Okay, that's harsh. For all I know, with someone new at the helm, Star Wars Episode VII will be spectacular. The argument is that The Avengers turned out just fine. Also, I doubt it can be even worse than the prequel trilogy. 
Let Mark Hammill have a cameo in the beginning of the movie where he hands his lightsaber to ... his son or daughter, or some student, and take it from there, a whole new fresh story/angle and absolutely no recurring crap from the prequels and maybe...maybe.......It's frustrating that this franchise still has such a hold over me. This news has me all aggravated and I have trouble focusing at work. Seriously. It has such an emotional power over me.
Another positive thing is that I can take my son to see the films in the cinema because he will be old enough by then. I am trying to see the good points here, although I know Disney/Lucasfilm will continue to tear down everything they built into my imagination since childhood. The other option is to avoid the films, not see them. 'Cause that's gonna be just as easy as saying, 'yeah, I'll just skip The Winds of Winter because I don't think it'll be as good as the first three.' 
Enough about Star Wars, I'm on the Red Country homerun. I tells you, it is Abercrombie's best written book from a characterization perspective. Shame it's short. His world-building is perhaps the weakest in this book. 
Enough about Abercrombie. Also reached the 3/4 of The Wise Man's Fear, it's literally in a strange place now this story, not sure if I like this plot development or not. But by Hood, Rothfuss has a smooth quill. Enough about Rothfuss.
Lands-of-Ice-and-Fire[case]
Prolific writer - and now also artist

Martin!

The man whose prose led to the birth of, among gazillion websites, this very blog. He's announced his latest book, The Lands of Ice and Fire (at least I believe it's his, it has its name with huge letters on the cover) in which he's been kind enough to draw us particularly good-looking maps of the many places within his A Song of Ice and Fire setting. I didn't know he was such a talented artist but there you go, he's always got a trick up his sleeve. Tricks that generate cash flow. 
If it were 2004 or thereabouts, I would be all over this book, no seriously I'd buy two, one where I could rip out maps to put them on the wall and one to keep pristine. Now? Not really interested; curious, I admit. Mostly because Martin, using another trick from his sleeve, teases us with "unknown places never visited by characters". But no thanks. I'll buy The Winds of Winter. 

Oh, and it's November tomorrow! And Halloween tonight! But it's November tomorrow and that means National Novel Writing Month. I'm going to give it a shot this year, for the first time. It sounds so easy - write 1667 words a day and you have a 50,000 word novel by the end of the month. It will be a novel full of plot holes, bad sentences, warped scenes and crappy crap but that's the point. At the end of the month you have a (very) rough draft. I'll keep at it as long as it's fun at any rate. Fun for the geeks!

Halloween has well and truly and finally invaded Scandinavia so tonight I'll probably walk around like a zombie (the gait is easy after a long day at work, I reckon) scaring the little ones. Muhahahaw! May the Force be with you on this Night of the Dead...buhuuuuu

No comments:

Post a Comment