Monday, November 19, 2012

Saying no to XP

Kind of sad that my last post was about writing for the hell of it, and yesterday I stepped away from the computer and announced myself as a coward, for giving up on it. Not that it wasn't a worthwhile experience, it's just - as I've moaned about before - that there's too much going on right now. Maybe December - or hell, July - would have been a better national novel writing month. Anyway, giving up freed up some time for geekery and so I finally got around to finish Red Country by Joe Abercrombie.
I was all over it during the first third of the book as witnessed on this blog but I'm afraid the book took a dip about halfway through and it never managed to grab me the way the first parts did. I don't even know exactly why. It kind of slowed a bit, and the narrative got a bit lost in the confusing, mud-spattered streets of Crease,  and once the story got back into gear it somehow had lost some of its emotional and dramatic punch. This all means that Red Country remains an entertaining novel but not, as I had suspected earlier, Abercrombie's finest. It's still very recognizably Joe here, though. Some fantastic banter, fun sequences, but much of it lifted almost directly from some of the man's favorite westerns and given a slight fantasy twist. Some of his best characters in terms of development are here, as well - Shy South and Temple - but the backdrop is a little bit of a shallow setting. I suspect Joe will get more heavily into his world building with his next project, which is a rumored trilogy, which we haven't had since The First Law books. 
Well, with that book under my belt (so to speak!) I have about 20% left of The Wise Man's Fear which likewise dipped - or should I say, listed - heavily, about half of The Desert Spear (gods how long since I read in that one?).

I admit that once I decided to give NaNoWriMo the middle finger up, I also downloaded the now free-to-play Star Wars: The Old Republic, partially due to the Episode VII-news getting me all itchy about that saga again. I'd say, if you haven't tried it, don't. Must be the most irritating, boring and useless game I've played in a long time. Nuff said.


Now, time to get back on track with A Storm of Swords. Feels good to be free from my artificially assigned duties and just be a consumer geek again, instead of producing geekery myself ^^ Maybe's that's just my lot in life. 

Speaking of consummation, Ian C. Esslemont's Blood and Bone, his fifth novel in the Malazan world he shares with Steven Erikson, is out in a few days. 

1 comment:

  1. With respect to the Old Republic, I've rarely been so disappointed in a video game. Star Wars offers more possibilities as a virtual setting than pretty much any scifi/fantasy setting out there, and Bioware underutilized it horribly, lopping off the possibilities that make Star Wars unique until it fit into their story-based RPG and vanilla MMO package.

    ReplyDelete