Friday, December 28, 2012

Resolutions

AH, at last, feeling much better, farewell worst christmas EVAR and let's face the last week of 2012 with zest and health and a reinvigorated drive. As for New Year's resolutions, I have "Read more and write more". Can't believe how few books I read this year. Fourteen books, and that includes a novella and several writing guides. Sigh.

Only fourteen volumes of lore have I completed, and I doubt I'll find the time to finish Blood & Bone before the end of the year (or the three books I'm currently alternating on the Kindle, Deadhouse Gates re-read, The Desert Spear, Darth Plagueis and the sequel to C.S. Friedman's Feast of Souls). Now I am not sure why I feel bad about having read only fourteen books. It's not like people around me in real life read more than me, or that it should somehow be considered "bad" to read little. But I want to improve my vocabulary and writing so I guess that's a good reason for feeling the urge to read more. On the other hand, there hasn't been that big an avalanche of must-reads and I feel I've devoured those novels I should, with a few exceptions I hope to correct in 2013 (books I just know I'll like but which I for some reason haven't bought or read yet - books like, oh, Saladin Ahmed's Throne of the Crescent Moon, Glen Cook's Black Company novels, Robin Hobb's dragon novels, Guy Gavriel Kay's novels, and so many, many more. Yeah, I am going for it. First Resolution: Read More. Problem with reading more is of course I have to do less of something else and that could fast become the writing bit. So though I'll go for a Second Resolution: Write More, I am not bolding it, baby. I probably also should quit  nicotine (I don't smoke, but I am grievously addicted to a little something we Scandinavians call 'snus'), watch more movies (I'm so out of the loop but maybe that's okay), and most important of all, he said, trying to sound like the lady of Lothloríen, oh, yeah, dammit. It's so important actually it will be an official resolution. So I'm moving 'write more' to an unbolded third. Second resolution: Exercise thy body. More. Or die trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment