Monday, May 13, 2013

Of lore and starving dogs, sort of



I really thought doing a blog was a daily thing, you know, put something up every day. I didn't think I'd be able to do an Ice & Fire chapter every day obviously, but you know, I like writing and a blog seemed a nice idea whether someone read it or not, a place to compile my thoughts and ideas (which was my original intent four or so years ago). It rather quickly turned into a re-read blog for A Song of Ice and Fire and has been that way ever since with the occasional rants or non-Westerosi utterings about other geeky stuff.

And though I haven't really been geeking out on Ice & Fire since last week's episode six of the TV series (which I found a bit lackluster and thus the geeking out was on a moderate level), I've definitely been geeking. There's this free-to-play Forgotten Realms online game - which isn't even that appealing - Neverwinter, where I've scuttled to when I needed a break from reality. It's a mindless romp, so easy you can play it with your eyes closed (okay, one eye closed), it delivers constant small fixes in the form of new character points, new levels, new this and that to keep me clicking them buttons, and there's a small amount of lore. I do like myself some good old lore. That's why I should be interested in that upcoming book putting down heaps of lore about George R.R. Martin's world, what's-it-called, uh, World of Ice and Fire or something? But I find myself not very interested because it feels like stalling. Yeah, even the TV series feels like stalling because all these franchise releases mean that some time that could have been spent on book six, was spent writing lore, scripts, editing etc.
I KNOW. I'm petty. I'm of that illustrious generation who wants everything now. But really, I'm not. But a couple of years sounds more than enough. Also, for some reason, I find the line of Targaryen kings less interesting as lore material than RPG worlds maybe because Ice and Fire never was about a brilliant setting full of mythic locations (like Middle-earth, which has ruling lore), but about the characters (who both literally and unfortunately not so literally get somewhat lost in A Dance with Dragons).

Fortunately I hear there's this book coming out compiling Tyrion Lannister's best lines from the novels.

Speaking of lore, I have fallen into the trap of thinking too much about Star Wars again. That bug just never leaves. Specifically, I've been conjuring up visions of what Episode VII could be like - and what it certainly won't be. The ever-present SW geek in me desperately hopes that the next movie is in good hands, but the rational part of my brain is kind of shrugging and saying "whatever", knowing that Episode VII cannot possibly entertain me the way the original trilogy did when I was a kid. For a thousand reasons. Still, the lore of Star Wars is something that's always been with me, and I know far more about that galaxy far, far away than is healthy for a responsible adult. Likewise the lore of Middle-earth; but the lore of Westeros? I'll gladly skip the details if I can learn what's going to happen to Ser Jaime Lannister, Brienne of Tarth, Rickon Stark, Jon Ghost, Cersei Lannister etc. because I care about those characters.

You could argue that the lorebook will contain information about them, but at the risk of losing a bet, I'd wager that the lorebook won't give us anything we didn't know about the actual characters of the novels. Maybe that Jon Arryn had a pimple on his right butt cheek but that's lore I can do without.

To conclude, lore may be more, but I don't want anymore lore. Some lore I adore more than other lore, I mean, I devoured the morose The Children of Húrin, I know all the answers in the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit game, I know my way around the cities of Waterdeep and Suzail, I know a little bit of lore from a hundred different secondary worlds, and I know more than enough about Westeros too, but Westeros (and Essos) really don't have the same depth - though I acknowledge that this is gradually changing as Martin adds more and more detail and ideas (especially in A Dance with Dragons which veers close to being an entirely different style from, say, A Game of Thrones) and maybe that World of Ice and Fire book will add even more detail (at least historical detail, as Martin has been writing these so-called 'sidebars'; at least I felt like he had fun with these when he wrote about it on his blog), but COME ON.

We waited five years for A Feast for Crows. Six for A Dance with Dragons. We're already in year two of the third Long Wait, this time for The Winds of Winter. Why can't the man deign to give us a little scrap of information on the progress?

I'm ranting on purpose here in the hope that Irony will see to it that Martin posts an update about book six within minutes of me publishing this.

(And all the while I'm ranting about him taking his sweet time, I'm still behind on a blog post. See, I can understand where he's coming from, and I absolutely understand that it must be a daunting, for me probably impossible, task to write these novels - but its time to feed the starving dogs!)

And now I'm going to throw my lazy ass onto the couch for Game of Thrones Episode VII The Bear and the Maiden Fair. Geek out

3 comments:

  1. "It's a mindless romp, so easy you can play it with your eyes closed"

    Been to the Lair of the Mad Dragon yet? :P

    And if you're desperate for geeking, there is, you know, the Empyre's Edge RP forum...? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's aliiive!!
    I've actually begun thinking more in the direction of the Empyre again. Just a little more patience :) The Lair I have not visited yet, looking forward to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lair is supposed to be the first real dungeon in Neverwinter, and I agree. Brought some fun to the game. :)

    And I approve of thinking about the Empyre. :D

    ReplyDelete