Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A most tragic bloodletting

Aaand we have our first in-depth look at Martin's latest offering. In my last post I mistakenly called it The Princess and the Queen, but apparently the full title is (don't hold your breath while reading it)

The Princess and The Queen, Or, The Blacks and The Greens: Being a History of the Causes, Origins, Battles, and Betrayals of the Most Tragic Bloodletting Known As the Dance of the Dragons, as set down by Archmaester Gyldayn of the Citadel of Oldtown ((here transcribed by George R. R. Martin))
Yeah, what can I say? It doesn't sound very promising. And what the fuck is that ((here transcribed by George R.R. Martin)) doing to my sense of immersion?!

For a very detailed look at Martin's latest return to the world of Westeros, clickety-click right here. Personally I don't really feel it, as I've said before, I don't really care so much about the Targaryens and their history, but as the author of the review reveals, there are some interesting bits in there pertaining to the "real" saga, most notably that dragons refuse any rider not of Targaryen blood. Insert drum roll.

With that piece of fiction out of the way, though, I can only imagine Martin continuing his diligent work on The Winds of Winter.

Here is an actual sample of the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment