Friday, October 18, 2013

Your Fantasy Black

I'm not a big fan of end time prophecies mainly because they scare the gullible, make no sense and because they are useless, unlike the narrative prophecies Martin employs in A Song of Ice and Fire. Why am I mentioning this? Because I stumbled across this article which shows how far people are willing to go in terms of lunacy. Oh well.

I had originally planned to read a new (old) chapter inA Storm of Swords today, but unfortunately I have run out of time. I'm in the middle of an extremely busy period at work which essentially rips my geek time to all manner of shreds and I am leaving town today to meet my role playing buddies for a weekend of hardcore gaming (which I am looking forward to, of course). So I am really taking back my geek time this weekend, but at a remote cabin deep in the forested mountains, hands loaded with dice and pencils and other ultimately useless paraphernalia, where the concept of "the Internet" is but a distant dream. Hence, no post today. 


But speaking of geekery, I was at a conference for three days this week and at the airport I couldn't help but treat myself to yet another fantasy series - I bought the first two books in Mark Lawrence's debut series, Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns. I've begun the first one and I am pleasantly surprised to find an easy-to-read, fast-paced, incredibly violent story that is in fact not too far removed from what Martin and Abercrombie do in terms of grittiness (it doesn't feel very realistic, though). Aside from one glaring error early on (a location has two different names when it should be consistently one), it is very easy to dig into it and read a few chapters before the eyes close shut. Refreshing really, because I'm struggling through the much more complex and poetic prose of Wolf Hall which now, along with a dozen other books, is kind of in a "to read limbo". Gods, how many books am I reading now? I'm not sure. The Crusades, Life in a Medieval Castle, Wolf Hall, Prince of Thorns, The Way of Kings, Deadhouse Gates re-read, The Blade Itself re-read, four or five Forgotten Realms novels started but hard to stay interested in due to lack of literary quality, about eighty Forgotten Realms sourcebooks one at a time (and much more fun to read than the novels), heck, I haven't even finished The Lies of Locke Lamora and I've had it since it was published! Maybe I should just accept that I simply don't finish all books I read and be at ease with that fact. Prince of Thorns though I am convinced I'll finish because it's so fast and entertaining. Recommended to anyone who likes their fantasy black. I hope it stays consistently as vivid as the first hundred or so pages have turned out to be. In that case, I may have a new favorite. It doesn't do anything new, mind you, but it's right up my alley, 'cause I do like my fantasy (and coffee) black.

No comments:

Post a Comment