Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Brandon Sanderson's "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell"

Another story in the Dangerous Women anthology read, and this one really surprised me in a good way. I like the setting and the characters, there's a great pace and some ominous descriptions, with the stars of the story being the restless shades. Somewhat similar to Brett's The Painted Man in concept, but still different enough to feel original. My favorite so far, definitely. Sanderson delivers in this short story, which feels like the opposite of his The Way of Kings which feels relentlessly slow and padded. I don't want to spoil anything about Shadows for Silence... but pay attention in the beginning. The story twists and turns and took me places I didn't expect but in the end it all fell neatly into place. Tight, with its own voice, Shadows for Silence... is a story I want to read again. Great atmosphere, interesting setting and characters, though I am sure Sanderson could have written a hundred pages more about them if he could do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment