Monday, January 13, 2014

Trial by Dialogue

      So, the other day I had a discussion with fellow Ice and Fire enthusiast Stefan Sasse (who occasionally comments here on Stormsongs as well), where we discussed the quality of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. Which, I learned, now seems to be called Feastdance because many people, to improve the reading of both novels, have mixed up their chapters into one cohesive read. Intrigued by this, I have decided that if I ever get through A Storm of Swords and still have passion for my re-read project, I will read the books in the 'mixed order' Stefan suggested while we debated.

Anyway, our little trial by dialogue has been published over at Tower of the Hand, so head on over and see two different viewpoints on Feastdance. I admit that Stefan had some good points and for what it's worth I am absolutely going to give Feastdance a shot with his (and other fans') thoughts in mind as to what exactly these two books are trying to accomplish. Will I change my mind? Probably not. Do I hate these two books? No way. They're just not as good as the first three. And, as Stefan says in our discussion, it might just boil down to taste when it comes to the plot itself. 

Anyway, go on and read our Trial by Dialogue! Stefan has a geek blog too, by the way, The Nerdstream Era, with a lot of links and posts related to Ice & Fire. And, of course, he's the author of one of the books in the column to the right of this post. He's also written a number of articles at Tower of the Hand, showing himself to be man with a lot of interesting thoughts regarding the series. Who said we're obsessed?

It should be obvious that this discussion came about because I have moved my Re-reading books to Stefan's publisher. Waiting for Winter: Re-reading A CLASH OF KINGS Part I was scheduled to be published as an e-book on December 22nd, but that plan didn't work out (partially because my script was so looong - I know how you feel, George!). As far as I am aware, there's some serious copy-editing going on to get the book published before the end of this month. It will look a lot better than Waiting for Dragons (again, look to the right column) with a photo I took myself. Very atmospheric. I'll show it here in not too long. It's going to be a great book, though, seriously, I am happy with this one (and Part II). 

Finally, I skipped the next to last short story in the Dangerous Women anthology. I did finish Pat Cadigan's "Caretakers", which I didn't really like because I felt the story promised one thing, and gave us something else (I'm still scratching my head as to why there was so much focus on serial killers in the beginning), and it was a bit of a slow read. Excellent characterization, though. The two main characters really did feel like sisters. The plot just left me a little...underwhelmed? Following "Caretakers" is the next-to-last story, "Lies my Mother Told Me" by Caroline Spector, and this is one of them Wild Cards stories. I am not skipping it on principle but because superheroes simply don't interest me at all. And, after the Trial by Dialogue I really felt like diving back into Westeros, and lo! and behold. I began Martin's epic novella last night. Too late to finish it in one reading, though, so I'm going to finish it today I suppose. I'll come back with a proper review once the Wall has fallen. I mean, once I have finished it, of course. 

As for news? I suppose we've all seen the Game of Thrones Season IV trailer. Perhaps more than once, even. I know I did. It has me excited to a certain degree. I think we'll have a great Red Viper. Not too long until he turns up in my re-read, so I better get cracking on that next chapter as well. The Winds of Winter seems to be on track though. Nothing forthcoming from the author can surely mean he's too busy. Perhaps not busy writing, but still. It seems like he will be able to keep up the schedule he set up with Feast and Dance.

5 comments:

  1. Do you mind posting a link to that suggested Feastdance order?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the blog from a guy named Adam Feldman, he has some really good essays on the core arcs of ADWD. It helped me appreciate the book much more, and actually make sense as to what was going on.
    http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/
    Its definitely worth a read

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nisses and brent, thanks for reading :) As a matter of fact I'm busy reading Adam Feldman's musings, brent, but thanks for the tip anyway. And yes, he's writing some quite clever material, I am enjoying it (more than reading "ADWD" to be honest ^^).

    As for a link, Nisses, here you go (well, there are apparently many of them, but this is one I believe many consider the best resampling of AFFC and ADWD): http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is some serious fuckup in the sentences of the first two paragraphs, may want to correct them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefan, thanks for noticing I think it should be fine now. Whenever I write a post in Blogger sometimes sections of text are moved and I am not sure how I manage to do this, but it is annoying me to no end ^^

    ReplyDelete