Friday, January 10, 2014

Weekend geekery

Estellae inspecting Horse the horse.
Time to geek! The kids are in bed, and Lady Slynt is out with friends. Woo!
So what to do? Well, the obvious choice is The Elder Scrolls Online, for which I have a beta key. I can't say anything more about it, though (I tried a little earlier today) due to the NDA. Yeah, I think I'm going to play that for a little while, and let my ranger Estellae (yes, she has the Targaryen 'ae') in Everquest II have a break tonight - although I feel the urge to get back to Norrath and finish a quest I was busy with last time I was there. I was thinking about writing a post explaining why I have come to the conclusion - after many years of pondering - why I feel that Everquest II beats the other big MMORPGs I have played obsessively (Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, The Lord of the Rings) and somewhat (Dungeons & Dragons Online, EVE Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes) but that's kind of pointless all the time it's free to play and anyone can make his or her adventures. One big problem though: I'm so tired I'm cross-eyed. So a quick romp to Tamriel, then, the world of the Elder Scrolls, then finish the short story in Dangerous Women I'm on, and then sleepy. 'Cause my children, for some unfathomable reason, like to get up really early in the morning and it's my turn to get up first tomorrow. So close to the Ice & Fire-story in the anthology, now.

Tomorrow's geekery is the fact that the local film club is showing The Empire Strikes Back on the big
My favorite movie poster. Surprise!
screen. I'm taking mini-Slynt #1. It's going to be great. Is it wrong to look forward to this when I have seen the film so many times I can quote it almost from beginning to end without watching? Pretty nerdy. And maybe I'm lucky to get in a little more gaming on the computer tomorrow night as well. Who knows? Not I.

For Sunday I wish I could say I was going to play tabletop RPGs but alas, I am not able to plan more than one day ahead. Maybe I'll be a good dad instead and go skiing or whatever. Healthier, too. 

But do I love Empire. What a movie. It hits all the right nerves for me. Looking forward to seeing it on the big screen again, where it comes to its proper right. I saw it back in '97 when it was re-released as a Special Edition. I suppose that's the version they will show tomorrow (unfortunately - it didn't add anything special in my grognardy opinion). Have a nice weekend, do something geeky, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment