Wednesday, February 12, 2014

This and that

One day early, but you can now find Waiting for Winter on Amazon. I'm happy to see it finally available, and I do hope that people give it a shot, obviously, if only to see that it is a much more interesting book than the first one. Yes, it only covers half of A Clash of Kings, but it is still a larger and more thorough work. No, there won't be a printed edition of this one (not that I am aware of, anyway). If you do end up reading it, please feel free to leave a review at Amazon. Feedback is always appreciated.




In other Ice & Fire-related news, I just realized that a decade+ long dream is coming true: A Game of
Thrones action figures! I've been wanting those for a while. Slightly (but only slightly) disappointed that the figures bear the likenesses of the television show versions of the characters, it was about time. Of course, for now the choice of characters is limited, but in time maybe we'll get some less famous characters in action figure format. Still, I'm looking forward to having Daenerys standing on the office desk reminding me, when I procrastinate, to get busy or Dracarys! 

And later, hopefully, I will be able to add some of my favorite characters - Ser Jaime Lannister, Roose Bolton, and of course the ever delightful Janos Slynt.

Man they announced this back in July 2013, and now I know. That deluxe Daenerys figure does look impressive, though. The Jon Snow figure I'm not all that interested in, but I see that there are several more figures slated for release next month: Khal Drogo, Ned Stark, Tyrion Lannister and a terribly expensive Arya Stark statue. Of these, only Ned's figure looks like a figure I'd like to have on a shelf (but he does have a very shelf-ish pose); I think it's weird they aren't producing the figures to scale with each other (Tyrion will be just as tall as Ned, unless I'm mistaken). Peter Dinklage is a fantastic actor but he just doesn't look like Tyrion; Khal Drogo, too, I find not bearing enough resemblance to the book character; and I would never shell out so much money for an Arya Stark figure. It's a small girl with a knife. Now, a statue of Ser Gregor Clegane in full armor, that would be interesting to me personally; or Melisandre, striking a spell-slinging pose. Maybe Jaime, complete with hand-on-a-string around his neck. Could be cool. Or the direwolves. Oh well, I suppose that statue will sell out fast enough.

Soon, Game of Thrones: Season 3 will be released on DVD and Bluray (and maybe it has already released where you live, I think we're getting it a little later here in the North). I've been avoiding the teasers featuring some of the bonus material because I want to save it for the day I can actually enjoy the actual discs, but I am looking forward to this as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment