Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Intricacies

My second re-reading collection, (inhale) Waiting for Winter: Re-reading A Clash of Kings - Part I has been out for a couple of weeks and doing fine. Obviously, there will be a Part II of this re-read, hopefully later this year.
I was browsing a number of threads over at a fan site today and it is just amazing how many theories there are concerning everything in the books - and it is also amazing just how many of these theories could - ahem, in theory - come true in some way because the text supports it somehow. That's what you get with such a complex and dense story. And unfinished. Seeing all these ideas floating about, I begin to wonder if the story becomes deeper because of fans' intense scrutiny, or because it was deep to begin with.. at any rate, I feel that my re-reads can barely scratch the surface compared to some of the ideas out there. Before today, I had never considered, for example, the possibilities that... the Iron Bank and the Faceless Men might just be different branches of the same affiliation; the links between said Faceless Men and the Others; how almost every male character in the series can be been proposed as Cersei's valonquar; that Tyrek Lannister maybe had an appearance in A Feast for Crows; how Martin may have created common mythologies for several of his cultures, much like our world's myths share a number of identifiers; and so on, and so forth.
Years go by between books; of course people discuss, dissect and theorize. And most theories must be wrong by default, I suppose. The trick is to figure out which ones are correct or close to the mark. If Martin is indeed a gardener, and not a planner, as he himself states, I find it strange (or Martin is even more of a genius than previously imagined) if A Song of Ice and Fire is as multi-layered as the endless theories (crackpot or otherwise) make it seem.  Still, reading all these theories is fun, almost as hypnotizing as visiting tvtropes... perhaps even more so. Personally I don't care how many layers this tale has; how deep it truly goes, how much is meticulously planned, whether Young Griff was planned from early on or not; I remain, however, utterly interested in getting my hands on The Winds of Winter. The whole thing, not a paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment