Saturday, April 5, 2014

Gaming in Westeros

So I got a beta invite for Landmark (previously known as Everquest Next Landmark) and I'm installing the game as we speak. I'm quite curious about it, but I am quite sure my computer can't handle it. I've kept playing a few games of Hearthstone over the last couple of days but kept it to casual mode, fortunately. This gaming bug that's biting me at the moment, though, is taking away reading time, hence the sudden drop in new re-read posts after a veritable flood over the last weeks. If it does run, I'm going straight for the construction of the Dreadfort ;-P Maybe fans of ice & fire should get together online and rebuild all the cool structures of Westeros within the game.

At first I thought it might be that the initial rush of two new teaser chapters that gave me the urge to revisit Westeros but now I'm thinking it's just been so long since I've played a decent video game ^^ What I really feel like doing is playing Crusader Kings II with the A Game of Thrones mod, but since the main game has received a recent major update, the mod doesn't work (not for me, at any rate, even though I have reverted to an older version of the game to make the mod playable - it really is time to upgrade dammit). So there you go, I just wanted to take my rekindled passion for Ice & Fire and combine it with some gameplay.

One more day and Game of Thrones returns - I'm looking forward to it, it seems that the first episode is rather good, and probably the best opening episode of the four seasons so far, which may or may not have to do with a certain Red Viper entering the stage.

It's good to be a geek.



...Some time later...

Well, yeah. My computer refused to play Landmark, so I installed it on Lady Slynt's machine, and it worked. With a frame rate of 5, it was kind of hard to do anything, so until I can finally afford a new power-rig, bye bye Landmark. I went back to Crusader Kings 2 to scratch the gaming itch and have spent a few in-game years as a count of some small province in southern France, mainly hanging poachers, arranging summer festivals and pretending I was doing this in Westeros - it amounts to basically the same with the exception of it being real-world history. My wife didn't bear me any further children, but I have a young boy as heir, betrothed to a princess of Croatia, and a good relationship to a half-brother. And now the itch is scratched and I can go back to reading A Storm of Swords. Coming up soon(ish), a new re-read post! And hopefully the patch that allows me to play that mod. I want to own Seagard and take over the Riverlands as Lord Jason Mallister.

3 comments:

  1. Why the fuck don't you play the ASOIAF mod for Crusader Kings II?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I can't get it to work anymore. I suspect it has to do with me having a lousy 32bit system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more day and Game of Thrones returns - I'm looking forward to it, it seems that the first episode is rather good, and probably the best opening episode of the four seasons so far, which may or may not have to do with a certain Red Viper entering the stage.Keep up the good work you are doing here. Thank you for sharing such a useful post.
    Gaming

    ReplyDelete