Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Rapegate

Wow it looks like that Jaime/Cersei scene really made the rounds in terms of people's engagement. Book purists and viewers alike seem to think the scene ruins Jaime's arc (not that we know it fully). Even the director and Martin himself have made comments. Me? I thought it was a fairly disturbing scene but the show has far more disturbing scenes than this one, even in the same episode: I found telling a young boy his parents will be eaten (after seeing them murdered) much more provocative.
Besides, it's not a big leap for Jaime - as a character, I'm in no way condoning (attempted?) rape - he's lost his hand, lost his father's goodwill, lost his sister's love, lost a son (I know he doesn't seem to care about Joffrey but it should still be psychologically damaging), his entire identity... it is not improbable to see him fail in a weak moment like this; it's just unusual in stories to have setbacks of this kind. For me it was far from the greatest crime against the books as committed by the show. The scene even appears in the book although, admittedly, it does not read as a rape the way it was shown on screen.
Shouting about misogyny feels strange to me in a series which has always been offensive in many of its depictions. I'd argue that one of the series' strengths is the fact that it disturbs, and provokes, and makes you consider human worth.
All this being said,  I planned to read and blog a chapter today but found myself finishing a short story for SFF World's March/April competition instead.  So far it seems I have a good chance as I'm the only one who has an entry. Cue mad cackling.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the episode yet but I'm disturbed. I seriously love Jaime's character arc in the book and this, from what I've read, seems to undercut that arc. Also, why make Cersei more worthy of sympathy? Most of the show's non-book based choices have made sense--to a greater or lesser degree--but it's is a weird call.

    ReplyDelete