Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Surprised myself with crows and stuff

So that little holiday trip sure flew by fast. And now I'm back after an eleven-hour journey home. Phew. So what did I miss?
I missed Game of Thrones 4.2 The Lion and the Rose, obviously, though I've just read myself up on the reactions and spoiled myself a bit in that way.
I missed reaching 300,000 page views on this blog, I notice 0_o Yay and celebration! Thanks to all who check in!



And, this morning I woke up with four (!) new books on my Kindle, so last night's reveling couldn't have been all that (I mean, I suppose it was since I can't really remember going online to order ebooks from Amazon, but then, how fun is a party if that's what you choose to do?). What's kind of funny is the selection: Bodyweight Training Handbook (I suppose I was of mind to start training?! I almost shouted when I saw it), two books on writing (I do love those), Story Structure and Dynamic Dialogue, both by William Bernhardt (never heard of the author to be honest), and wait for it, A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin of all people. I do have the original UK hardcover (with the Captain-promo booklet as well), and a paperback version too, and now I apparently have it as an ebook as well. I suppose it can't hurt to have a digital version ready for when I'm going to tackle it.

HOWEVER, before we made ready for departure I breezed through Dynamic Dialogue (I am struggling with a work-in-progress-novel-thingy on the side) and then I took a quick Feast-dip and read the prologue, you know, the one with Pate the pig boy and his friends at the tavern in Oldtown, and lo! and behold. If Bernhardt is to be trusted, our Mr. Martin isn't very good at writing dialogue. He's not breaking rules, because there aren't any, but in the prologue of A Feast for Crows it became almost annoyingly obvious after reading Dynamic Dialogue that Martin, at least in this prologue, overuses adverbs and dialogue tags, two things author W. Bernhardt warns against. I really shouldn't have read his admonishing lecture on dialogue first. I guess I will save the specifics to when I get to his chapter.

I was surprised, by the way, to see that A Feast for Crows had this ugly cover with a crow looking ready to shoot out of the front cover to peck at my eyes. I much prefer subtler covers, but oh well. It's the inside that counts. That same cover, incidentally, was plastered over countless bus stops out there in the world, promoting season four of Game of Thrones. That was kinda cool.

All right, time for lions and roses and stuff and stuff. I expect I'll post some thoughts on 4.2 tomorrow or stuff. I like stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment