Monday, June 9, 2014
Game of Thrones 4.9: The Watchers on the Wall
Wow, I actually forgot that there was a new episode today. Goes to show how the Wall isn't my favorite story line. But now I am watching as I write, the intro going on and on and on, so this will not be so much a review/response as me perhaps commenting while watching (if I'm able to, of course)..
* Ooh, nice first shot! Been a while since we saw the far north from the Wall itself. And the Horn. And Sam looking sad. And Jon looking Jon. And Sam going on about women again. But what a silly conversation, I'm thinking. I don't know. It doesn't quite work for me.
* Styr is so over the top. And that warg cannibal looks like he's made of wax.
* And Gilly just walking past a wildling encampment. Don't they have pickets?
* Aemon and Sam...well acted but a little boring perhaps? Reminding us Aemon's a Targaryen and possibly setting up their journey together. But so looong....and not in the book. Fantastic acting though.
* Gilly returns. "Open the fucking gate!" Heheh. So the reason for moving Gilly to Mole's Town was to "force" them together for the rest of the story? Mm.
* Horns!! Why "It's time"? Oh, the greatest fire in the north?! Music builds...coool. Nice location shooting so far in the episode. They are torching the forest?!
* Thorne admits Jon Snow was right, well that's a surprise. Oh, but he's still the good old Thorne, promising Jon some kind of revenge?
* Camera movements becoming more jerky to up the tension. Good choice I think.
* Sam leaving Gilly again, but this time in the pantry or whatever they call it. Meat on hooks. Kiss!!! Love is in the air. Gilly's becoming a bit of a nag isn't she.
* People running around preparing for battle. Pyp's hands are shaking. Yeah, he's dead. Sam's probably going to see him die.
* Weird how Sam suddenly is so much braver than Pyp.
* Randyll Tarly namedrop. Will we see him in the future?
* As I guessed, they are giving Ygritte scenes to build up toward the end of her arc.
* Somebody threw a smoke bomb? And WOW Ygritte and her gang were close to Castle Black.
* Still, the Wall is ridiculously high. Must be kind of demotivating to see that Wall standing in your way. But Mance's crew seem eager. Where is Mance anyway?
* First barrel lost. Thorne is getting angrier by the second.
* Nice to have a shot from the Wall showing the attackers on both sides. Makes it less confusing for the casual viewer I suppose.
* Wait. Castle Black doesn't have a wall on the south-facing side!
* Slynt gets command of the Wall, Thorne goes down to face Yrgritte and Tormund.
* I suppose there will be a lot of shouting this episode.
* Music is great.
* Pyp thinks he's going to die. Oh really.
* Ey, Satin!
* Thorne has a speech! I like how he kind of gets a heroic moment. Not kind of. He is being heroic.
* Tormund says "woh!" every time he kills a foe.
* Wow, this is actually getting exciting! So many well timed shots from so many different angles.
* Slynt. Man what a pussy. Oooh Jon Snow has command of the Wall.
* Oooh fire-arrow to the face.
* Not too keen on the idea of having Night's Watch members hang by winches and pulleys along the wall.
* Giant has giant arrows and giant bow. Obviously.
* Styr hacks his way through the castle, looking raving mad (which he is). I don't know.
* Ygritte has Jon in her sights!
* Battle getting more confused for the participants!
* Kitchens invaded!
* Hope Styr dies. Silly Styr.
* Slynt's getting screentime. Oy! He goes to hide with Gilly! Uh oh.
* Pyp finally gets to kill a wildling. He's so happ...oh. And that's Pyp, shot down by Ygritte no less. Arrow through the throat. No time to get sad, but it is sad 'cause the character and actor were great. You'll be missed Pyp.
* Barrels hit wildlings.
* Dolorous Edd is again not very dolorous. Shame!
* That mammoth-riding giant is fugly!
* What if they had brought two mammoths?
* Where's Donal Noye when you neeeeed him?!
* Giant also has giant jack.
* It's looking a little Lord of the Rings right now. I miss the Lannisters.
* Close-up of Grenn! Next to die. I bet two silver stags.
* Thorne versus Tormund: Didn't see that one coming, but there it is. Nice choreography and stuff. Oooh Tormund wins! WTF. Oh Thorne's just wounded. He's such a hero today though, still shouting orders! I like that twist.
* Awww, time to get sad about Pyp after all.
* What an excellent opportunity this is for the Others, though.
* Grenn comes down the elevator, Sam goes up.
* Aww poor Satin. Olly. Whatever his name is. Not only is everything terrible, he has to get Sam up the Wall.
* That gate is ripping apart!
* More barrels. Nice sound effects. Scared mammoth.
* Giant decides to lift the gate. Why didn't he just do that at once. He rolls his Bend Bars/Lift Gates succesfully. Poor scared mammoth could have been at home, unafraid.
* Jon gives command to Edd! Jon goes down. So much up and down this episode.
* One giant just lifts that gate. So much unnecessary setup to get open that gate. Still no Donal.
* Grenn gets Donal's role in slaying the giant! I foresee it! Kind of obvious though.
* Jon gives Sam a key. Uh what!
* Jon feels the need to roll out of the lift instead of running WTF
* Oooh battle version of the main theme. Nice choice. Getting a bit sick of the main theme though. Oh good they changed it quick enough.
* Sam uses key on door
* Ah! He went to get Ghost.
* Ghost stops to eat the first kill. Maybe not a good pick after all. Still Styr appreciates the gesture
* Jon versus Styr, of course
* Ygritte sees Jon again. Rolls off roof. Picks up arrows. No. wait. firing randomly.
* Longclaw in the mud. nice shot!
* Styr is strong.
* Ygritte can kill Jon. She stops to watch him fight Styr. OO!!!! Head smashed against anvil. Jon Snow is now Hodorized?!
* Styr takes a hammer to the brain! Good riddance.
* Seriously though. Jon Snow's head versus anvil: improbable.
* Ygritte can shoot him!
* Ygritte gets shot by little boy /Satin replacement. Please don't say YOU KNØW NØTHING PLEASE
* WTF they talking about?!
* Awww darn she said it. But it worked this time. It is sad. Fading the battle sounds and putting a little sad music over it helps.
* And back to the action! Not much time for sorrow.
* Breaking off chunks of ice to drop on the attackers: Smart.
* Where's Mance anyway?
* The wildlings are retreating?!?! It feels like the episode has just begun. That's a good sign I suppose.
* Tormund is the last man standing inside the yard.
* Jon orders him put in chains. Good.
* "Aye. You should've." My favorite.
* Sam goes to pick up Gilly. But where's Slynt? Oh there. Sitting like a coward. Put him on a meat hook already.
* Great victory? "Mance was testing our defenses." Where's Mance anyway!?
* Is this episode like twenty minutes or something? WTH
* They are SO setting up Jon's command, though. Even non-book readers must sense this?
* The courtyard looks rather empty, though. Should be littered with lots more bodies.
* AND there's Grenn, dead at the giant's side. He held the Wall. Another hero down.
* Jon's going off. Sam tells him to come back. Uhm. Okay? Sure thing?
* Jon walks off without his sword to go chat with Mance (I suppose, I couldn't quite catch what he was mumbling about).
* And that's it.
Why do they always make the episodes so short? This one flew by like all the others, but since it was so action-packed it felt even faster. I suppose it was better than I had expected though I think Blackwater still is the better episode. As always I will have to watch it again. I loved the visuals this time though. And was it just me or did they tone down on the gory creative deaths this time?
Just one more episode to go and we're off the hook again for a year. Intimidating.
Posted by R.J. at 1:29 PM