Thursday, June 19, 2014

[Rogues] Matthew Hughes: "The Inn of the Seven Blessings"

Yeah, it looks like I'm actually reading this anthology. First I just wanted to check out Martin's foreword. Then I saw the first page of Abercrombie's story and it was so interesting I had to read it. And then I just had to check out that Flynn story following it. And last night instead of going to sleep at a sane time I just had to read Matthew Hughes' "The Inn of the Seven Blessings", because this story to opens with an interesting character and premise and I just had to read it as well.

This time we're back to fantasy, and if I have to compare it to other fantasy, I'd say this is a tale that easily could have taken place in Steven Erikson's Malazan world, by way of certain plot elements, such as the rather cynical, gritty world juxtaposed with powerful magic and gods, and the type of characters presented. Yes, all this in a short story, yet it works really well with a nice pace, interesting encounters that keep you hanging on until the finale. The story works all the way through, as well, and the ending is both humorous and clever, I think. That's the third story in a row in Rogues I really like. My skepticism for Martin's anthology editing is now gone (although I preferred he had spent that time doing The Winds of Winter but who knows maybe this kind of work recharges his batteries of ice and fire).


1 comment:

  1. Much too lighthearted for Erickson. This is pure Jack Vance ripoff, but a very good one.

    ReplyDelete