Tuesday, July 15, 2014

[Rogues] Lisa Tuttle: "The Curious Affair of the Dead Wives"

Lisa Tuttle is, of course, the author (authoress?) who collaborated with George R.R. himself on the novel Windhaven. Back in the day, when I had devoured the three existing Ice & Fire novels and I just didn't know what to do with myself because I needed moar, moar, moar, I bought Windhaven (and the RRetrospective, and Dying of the Light). I never finished it, although it had some neat concepts - and if I recall correctly, a few names would later return in A Song of Ice and Fire. I didn't finish it because it bored me to be honest. It wasn't bad, but it didn't keep me hooked either.
With "The Curious Affair..." I struggled to get through the first page because the opening of this story is a bit dull as well, but once I got into it, this short story turned out to be quite interesting for most of its length. The 'curious affair' is an interesting concept - an undertaker offering people to be buried alive so they can experience the silence of the grave - with the main character being a female detective who agrees to investigate this matter when a young girl goes missing. What begins as an eerie, almost ghost story-like tale, ends up being something quite different, but Tuttle manages to keep the atmosphere and mood, and I did have to finish the story before going to sleep which is the highest recommendation from a fellow like me, who does so love to sleep.

I'm going to miss Divinity: Original Sin when I'm going away for a couple of days (going to visit a medieval castle, though - an essential part of summer). You should have seen my unlikely duo fight its way through the cemetery northeast of Cyseal last night, and surviving to boot. What a game.  Best fantasy experience since I don't know. Still highly recommended. Can't wait to finally have saved up enough cash to buy a decent gaming rig so I can play it on something else than the lowest of low settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment