Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Peacock Vow

Happy new year!

It's already been 2015 for a week - so far it feels quite similar to 2014, only with some great fantasy prospects ahead of us, in novels, games, and movies. I still have a number of books to finish before I get to my first proper read of the year, but I am (finally) on the home run with Steven Erikson's Willful Child, with the other books close-ish behind. My reading time is still suffering from the need to be online to check for Star Wars VII news or the discussion thereof, I really need to get my act together so that I can get to that enticing little novella placed on my Erikson/Esslemont-shelf, the only Malazan-story I have yet to read, The Wurms of Blearmouth. And of course I still have a good chunk left of The World of Ice and Fire although that piece of work isn't enticing as such - it doesn't whisper "Come read me" and that's because, plain and simple, it's a tad boring. More on that in some later post! Presumably.



So. Not-a-Blog has not been brimming with enthusiastic posts showing any progress on Winds, not even a small tiny speck of encouragement to the readers to persist in the intolerable long wait, not a single small Christmas present to his dedicated readers, you know, to say, "Hold on, I'm getting there, thank you for your patience". Oh no! Post after post where he comments on that game he enjoys. It's so dismal I find it hard to believe that so many readers seem so...not agitated. Is it entitlement to ask for just a little goodwill? 

That being said, there are so many interesting blogs out there, so many places to visit to read, it boggles the mind. This week I've read arguments for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade being the best Indiana Jones-movie; I've read about the relative sizes of stars and other objects in space; read countless pieces related to religion; read Joe Abercrombie's latest progress update, and checked out the always growing list of music-related blogs that I like. 

But none of them are giving me an idea on when to expect The Winds of Winter. /sad

Anyway, it's 2015 and these are my new year's resolutions:
* Read more
* Rock harder
* Don't worry about age
* Write more and have more fun with it
* Get cranking on Feastdance for this blog
* Waste less time on aimless Internet surfing
* Be more focused when at work or with the family (I'm such a dreamer)

Right!
Expect the first Ice & Fire re-read post soon! 

PS If you wonder why I called this post "Peacock Vow", Wikipedia tells us that In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry. So, kind of like New Year's resolutions. And befitting a blog mostly concerned with the works of a man who pretty much forced me to become interested in all things medieval.





No comments:

Post a Comment