Saturday, February 7, 2015

[Ice & Fire] A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Yay, finally a brand-new Ice & Fire book!

Circle October 6 on your calendar.

Oh. Well, it will probably be worth the wait.


My friends at Bantam have just informed me that will be the day that A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS in released in English, collecting all three of my "Dunk & Egg" novellas -- "The Hedge Knight," "The Sworn Sword," and "The Mystery Knight" -- between one set of covers for the first time.

Oh. I have already paid for, and read (and re-read) those stories. It would have been a little bit more exciting with The Winds of Winter, I dare think. Heck, even an update on that book would be more interesting.


Many of you, of course, will have read the adventures of Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire Egg in their original appearances in LEGENDS, LEGENDS II, and WARRIORS. But A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS will have a lot more than the three stories. 

Exactly. I have Legends. I have Legends II. I have Warriors. I have already thrown the money at you. I also have The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword comic books, paid for each and every issue to experience the story in that format. Did I mention that I also paid to have those comic books collected into two hardcover collections? The Iron Bank of Braavos would never ever give me a loan the way I keep throwing my money in the direction of Santa Fe.

We wanted this to be an illustrated book, so we went to the amazing Gary Gianni and asked him to do some art for us, thinking perhaps we could include seven or eight interior illustrations. 

But I already HAVE illustrated versions - those comic books! GRRuMble!

Gary turned us down. 

Le chuckle!

He loved the stories, he said, but he'd only do it if he could illustrate the entire book, with art on virtually every page.

Oh. 

We said yes, of course, and Gary has been drawing for the better part of two years. Most fantasy fans know Gianni's artwork from his work on PRINCE VALIANT, on the Wandering Star limited editions of SOLOMON KANE and BRAN MAK MORN, and of course for his stunning 2014 ICE & FIRE calendar, but we think A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS may be his best work to date.

Of COURSE it is his best work to date, you...you merchant dammit.

This is going to be an amazing book, one I will be very happy to have my name on -- beside that of Gary Gianni, surely among the very best fantasy artists of all time. (And damn it, folks, it is LONG past time that he was nominated for a Hugo).

It was about time the Hugo was mentioned on the Not-a-Blog again. It's been too long. Well, mr. merchantman, thanks but no fricking thanks. The most ironic part, which I'm sure will fly over the heads of most of the readership, is of course that A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms will be yet another unfinished story from our good friend George R.R. Martin. That should be the blurb on the cover (in case you don't know, Martin's been talking about more stories about Dunk & Egg for a long time - but maybe he's been stalling because the story is taking them into territory that would spoil his fun naming these novella characters in A Song of Ice and Fire, at least that's an excuse apologists can use).

3 comments:

  1. I actually read the dunk and egg stories in a bundle I found at my local library. it was called ridder van de zeven koninkrijken i think. It seems weird to me that the Netherlands got a bundeld version prior to an English one. But it didn't have any artwork of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some countries got the bundle a long time ago, but they didn't get the artwork the new one will be getting, I don't remember why.

      Anyhow, this will be a great compilation for those who haven't read it yet or are just getting into the book series. The art alone might be the only thing that will make those who have already read the three novellas buy it. I won't buy the book any time soon, are you buying it Mr. Slynt?

      P.S. "But I already HAVE illustrated versions - those comic books! GRRuMble!" almost killed me :D

      Delete
  2. I recently read the graphic novel adaptations and then went through the three novellas. I hadn't heard about this collected and illustrated edition. I have looked through Solomon Kane. The art in that book is really special. I just wish that it was bigger. More full page illustrations would have been better. Thanks for the heads up on this new edition. I'll keep an eye out for it.

    nerdom.website

    ReplyDelete