Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Game of Thrones 6 / 4, "Book of the Stranger"

I hate that I haven't been able to watch the latest episode in one sitting. Instead, I've watched it, over the last couple of days, a few scenes at a time. Actually, it isn't that bad, as the scenes themselves often feel quite disconnected from the other scenes. Still, looking forward to seeing the whole episode in one nice chunk of ice and fire. And blood.



The beauty of the imagery, the feels it generates
....all because of Jon's new hairbun

Well, well. There's much that could be said, but looking back on it the scene that stands out is, of course, the reunion between a ghost and a lady, so to speak. I am not ashamed to admit that I cried a little. The tears were manly, though! No but seriously I actually began to sob. Because something happened, that I have been waiting to enjoy, for sixteen years. And the show has steadily been moving these two characters closer, so I can only assume it is an actual plot point from The Winds of Waiting. I mean, Winter! The moment the gate opened for Sansa and her party of Brienne & Pod (who's been totally shunned this season, except for one moment of glorious almost-death) I was like WEEEEWWEEEEWWOOOOO 'cause I totally thought the same shot (the opening gate revealing Sansa) seen in last week's trailer was a tease and that Sansa would be going somewhere else and then she did actually appear! It was nice to have a lovely moment in a show bereft of lovely moments (since season one). Then I began biting nails and worrying how their dialogue and interaction would go. Could the show make enough room for them, so that the reunion felt "true"? I feel they balanced it just right. Tormund eyeing Brienne from the get-go was a fun addition.
I do miss Book-Dolorous-Edd, though. I can imagine Martin having some fun with Book-Dolorous if he does get the command of the Night's Watch in The Waiting of Winter. I mean Winds!

SANSA STARK AND JON SNOW MET. AND SHE'S ALL "I'M SORRY I ACTED LIKE A SPOILED PRINCESS BEFORE." AND HIS EYES ARE LIKE, "YOU WERE A SPOILED PRINCESS BUT I CAN FORGIVE YOU CAUSE REALLY THERE'S NOT MUCH ON THE OTHER SAYDE OF LAYFE." THEY MET. IT'S SUCH A STUPEFYING, AWESOME MOMENT. IF I WERE GEORGE I WOULD BE CRYING MYSELF TO SLEEP (AND BACK TO AWARENESS) FOR HAVING SOMEONE ELSE REVEAL IT TO THE PUBLIC. THEY MET.
THEY MET.
Such a relief, in a way. At least one thing down. So good to have them meet. Did I mention that?

The rest of the episode kind of fell in the shadow of that reunion but I guess there were some good bits in there. But boy did it have some overly long, tedious scenes too. Tyrion is not even close to the great character of the first seasons; Peter Dinklage must be bored out of his mind with this Meereeneese sceenees (yes I did that on purposee) (that one too)
Tyrion Lannister, the greatest of characters, reduced to prattle on about nothing. Get him out of Meereen NOW. Or soon?

Uhm what else did we have... Osha walks into a room, tries to murder Ramsay, gets murdered back instead. I don't know...pointless. Does this, however, ruin my hopes that the Umbers are really good guys??? Great acting by Iwan in this scene, though. But very out of character to just stick Osha with the pointy end. THIS SCENE DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE REALLY DOES IT. Think about it.

Daenerys, in an echo of her pyre back when those dragons were born and the night came alive with music (metal of fire and blood), torches a place that in no way should be able to catch fire, and, in a stunning turn of events, gets a little naked again.

Not the show's fault, I am kind of disappointed with Dany's plot. I have resigned myself to the idea that I will never see her walk the shores of Westeros, but still, it's weak how she spent all this time n Borington then POOF! fire and she has a new khalassar....it feels now, more than ever, that the whole Dany debacle in Essos was Martin waiting for Westeros to catch up to where he could align Dany's plot with the rest of the story. Personally, I think a forward-motion quest ("to go west..") taking her through a variety of interesting locales would be more interesting than sitting on the Great Pyramid Crapper all year long but that's just me.

Other things... Theon & Asha,... cool... I like how the sisters are the rulers of the episode.... Margaery & Loras...ok but shouldn't Loras be fighting on Dragonstone... :p (I wonder if anyone remembers that rumor)....High Sparrow....FANTASTIC actor but I fricking hate the character so much I want to reach out and strangle him.Can't wait for whoever to get rid of that guy. He can take the Seven with him.

Loras is so going to die first, though. HBO have an excellent opportunity here to say something about faith and homosexuality/sin and human decency, though. Will be interesting to see where they go with it.

JAIME..JAIME is the other greatest character and, like his brother, he's been reduced to nothing. Give him his Riverrun plot for the gods' sake and make him interesting again. Let Tyrion join him, now that would be nice, the Lannister boys vs the Freys.

Brienne telling Davos she executed King Stannis: Yeah, did the job. Cold, quick, efficient.

Davos & Melisandre: Eh. Are they like becoming friends or what??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Eyrie: I dig the actor who plays Royce, but that's not enough to save this. Show-Littlefinger remains uninteresting and unbelievable, and there better be some reveal that he has magical teleportation spells. Gillen looks the part all the way, but I just am unable to accept his dialogue as being Petyr Baelish's at all. I am fond of the Vale and the Eyrie and its characters as they are in the books - same with Petyr. His few "pop in pop out" scenes have also made him into something of a weird part of the story, yet doesn't feel important or dangerous anymore IMO. IMO!!!!1

final thought: it's ridiculously brave of HBO to introduce a character in a 2-minute scene where he's barely visible (Euron) and then not even follow up on Euron until next week. Will the commoner remember without the aid of a Previously On?

Who knows, oh oh

No comments:

Post a Comment