Thursday, October 20, 2016

FINALLY NEW GRRM BOOK YAY OH YAY

Wow, I didn't realize when I posted the Brienne II re-read yesterday that it actually was the publishing date of an ENTIRELY NEW GEORGE R.R. MARTIN BOOK! At least, that's what the continuous mails from Amazon claim. I'm talking about the new anniversary edition of A Game of Thrones, of course, which they dare call "George R.R. Martin's new book" in their mail headers, you know, simply as click-bait.

I for one am not very interested. Yes, it's probably a very nice book and it will look good standing on the shelf but, you know, I already have that book in at least four versions, how much more money do they expect to suck out of my wallet? Now, the main draw of this book is that it has illustrations; but from what I can gather I've seen most of it already; you can find, for example, the definitive vision of the Iron Throne on the Internet without further ado. I also already have both Art books based on the series, and some of the art comes straight from there (and a lot of the art in those two volumes was reused from Fantasy Flight Games' card game). It's such a transparent way of selling people stuff they already have, that it hurts. So yeah, no way I'm buying this book, even though I am prone to collecting this and that.

The real pain here, of course, is that the anniversary edition is of a book that was published in '96, setting up a story we're still waiting to see the end of; and even more real pain - it is announced in a way as to make people think The Winds of Winter has arrived, which feels like a deceptive and unfair ruse to people parched with thirst for more ice & fire.

On a more positive note, the Kindle still entices me to read more than usual, and to my own surprise I've already finished reading the second novel in Maurice Druon's series, The Strangled Queen. Like the first book, The Iron King which I posted about here, this is a strange amalgam of history and story, but still very interesting if you're into the medieval era. And since it's based on real events and people, it's even more unpredictable than A Song of Ice and Fire. Some similarities to Martin's work in this book too, but nothing that I feel Martin ripped directly; but a lot of the elements (most elements, even) in The Strangled Queen are also employed in Martin's work, like, you know, queens and strangulation. Still recommend it to fans of Martin, if only to experience one of the main influences of our favorite author.

It is frustratingly shallow in many ways, often merely describing character actions and using way too much exposition to explain, and as such it is a vastly inferior read to Martin, but it scores points on being actual history, and it seems that the author strived to keep it as true as he could. The lack of any fantastical elements doesn't really bother me, mainly because there kind of is fantasy in the sense that people are very superstitious, so there's a mystical element there anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Yup. No more GRRM books for me until Winds, and then Dream.

    My only exceptions were: The Lands of Ice and Fire, The World of Ice and Fire, and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. I don't much or any 'non-main' Ice and Fire books between Winds and Dream...PERHAPS another Dunk and Egg collection.

    But yeah, that GRRM 'box' (stuffed to the brim with material mostly from the show) and the anniversary edition of only the first book in the series? Yup, fuck that.

    ReplyDelete